Wednesday, February 05, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Riding a three-game road winning streak, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team returns to Allen Arena on Thursday night to take on Atlantic Sun Conference foe USC Upstate at 6 p.m.
The Bisons (10-12, 5-6 A-Sun) look to snap a five-game skid against the Spartans (13-10, 6-4 A-Sun) and climb above .500 in league play. Upstate owns a slim 7-6 advantage in the all-time series that dates back to 2008.
The contest is set to air on ESPN3 with Steve Selby and Justin Seamon on the call as well as 94.9 Game 2 with Justin Seamon, Jay Walton and Jared Revlett bringing the action.
To purchase tickets logon to http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).
- The Bisons are currently riding a three-game winning streak for the first time since the 2009-10 season when Lipscomb finished up the regular season with 5-straight victories to claim the A-Sun Regular Season crown.
- Redshirt-freshman guard J.C. Hampton picked up his second A-Sun Newcomer of the Week award on Monday for his efforts last week against Jacksonville and North Florida. Hampton sank 15 points in each contest including hitting the game-winning shot against the Ospreys with 45 seconds left. The Gainesville, Ga. native notched four rebounds, four assists and a pair of steals against Jacksonville and grabbed four rebounds and added three steals against North Florida. Hampton continues to lead all A-Sun freshmen in scoring averaging 14.3 points per game, a figure that ranks him ninth overall in the league. He has also scored double figures in 14 of the last 15 contests.
- Freshman guard Josh Williams continues to make a big impact in his first season averaging a league eighth best with a 15.3 points per game in conference games. He scored a game-high 27 points last Thursday to help the Bisons down Jacksonville. He also averages five rebounds per contest a figure that ranks ninth best in the nation among freshmen guards.
- The Bisons currently lead the league with four players ranked in the top-15 in scoring in Atlantic Sun games.
- With seven wins on the road this season, the Bisons lead the league ahead of Mercer, who has claimed six of their 18 wins away from home.
- Long distance has been a big part of the Bisons this season as Lipscomb leads the league in 3-pointers made per game at 8.7. The Bisons rank 7th nationally with 546 attempts. Senior guard Khion Sankey leads the league with a .464 percentage from beyond the arc.
- Close contests have been the norm for the Bisons in A-Sun play with eight of the 11 contests being decided by five points or less.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 9-4 when scoring 70 or more and also 7-4 when shooting more free throws.