Sunday, January 20, 2013
NASHVILLE, TENN. - Looking to rebound from Friday's narrow defeat to Georgia Tech, the Lipscomb men's tennis team couldn't topple the No. 46-ranked Middle Tennessee at home Sunday, 7-0.
The loss puts the Bisons 0-2 on the season with both loses coming from ranked opponents in the top 60. The Blue Raiders won their first tennis match of the season.
Coach Andrew Harris said the match showed needs of improvement in the doubles competition.
"We came out in doubles looking to really play some solid fundamentals in terms of executing our game plan,” Harris said. “We had a difficult time when we had opportunities in terms of after having the break of the serve and then staying ahead consistently.
"We found ourselves on the long end of the stick when we couldn't hold our serves. We've got to keep working on serves."
In regards to the singles matches, Harris said he hopes the team can overcome consistency problems to tap into the talent at hand.
"We need to keep working on staying mentally consistent over the course of a two-hour match or a two-and-a-half hour match,” Harris said. “We have to make sure that we're staying focused all the way around through the match, and we have good opportunities to be ready to excel when the time comes."
Harris said he wants to take the next two weeks to get the team healthy and prepared for the next match.
The men's tennis team hopes to net their first win of the season when they host Abilene Christian University Feb. 8.
Tennis Match Results
Lipscomb vs Middle Tennessee
No. 46 Middle Tennessee 7, Lipscomb 0
1. #101 Davis, Ben (MT) def. Strecker, Oliver (LU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Lang, Christoph (MT) def. Salazar, David (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Cornea, Victor (MT) def. Hernandez, Daniel (LU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Born, Yannick (MT) def. Tierney, Stuart (LU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Zito, Ettore (MT) def. Cortez, Miguel (LU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-1
6. Fox, David (MT) def. Tougher, John (LU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Brand, Marlon/Lang, Christoph (MT) vs. Strecker, Oliver/Salazar, David (LU) unfinished
2. Cornea, Victor/Born, Yannick (MT) def. Tierney, Stuart/Cortez, Miguel (LU) 8-5
3. Davis, Ben/Fox, David (MT) def. Hernandez, Daniel/Tougher, John (LU) 8-5
Middle Tennessee 1-0; National ranking, No. 46
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,2,1,3,6,5)
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|