|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches|
Wednesday, April 07, 2010The Bisons faced Atlantic Sun rival Belmont University in the heated “Battle of the Boulevard” on Tuesday at Belmont’s Davis Tennis Complex.
As always, the tension rose as the two teams began the face off.
The Bisons took an early lead when they clinched the doubles point, winning No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
Daniel Hangstefer and Joe McArdle secured a win at No. 1, defeating Renato Antun and Rafael Matos 8-6.
The Bisons lost their only doubles match at the No. 2 spot. Chad Pierron and Tanner Brown were defeated by Joao Paolielli and Filipe Cirne Lima 8-6.
Mario Hernandez and Colby Shaw picked up another win at No. 3 to give the Bisons the doubles point. The duo beat Belmont’s Bruno Silva and Jonathan Murrell in a close tiebreaker, prevailing 9-8.
With the doubles point under their belt, the Bisons took a 1-0 over the Bruins.
Hangstefer earned another win for the Bisons with his victory at No. 1 singles. Hangstefer defeated Paolielli 6-7, 6-1, 6-2 in a three set battle.
The Bruins fought back with a win at No. 2. Pierron was defeated by the Belmont’s Antun 6-2, 6-3, bringing the match score to 2-1.
The score was evened at 2-2 when Lipscomb fell at the No. 3 spot. Hernandez fell to Amaral in a close three set match, losing 6-1, 4-6, 6-3.
The Bisons battled back to take the lead once again, securing their third win at No. 4. Shaw easily glided past Lima, defeating him 6-2, 6-4.
Once again, Belmont matched Lipscomb, taking a win at No. 5 to even the match score to 3-3. Brown was defeated by Matos 6-0, 6-1.
Unfortunately, the Bruins earned the final win at No. 6 singles. McArdle fell to Silva after coming back in the second set, taking it to a tiebreaker. In the end, McArdle was defeated 6-2, 7-6 (4).
The Bisons end their conference season with a record of 1-9.
Lipscomb travels to the University of Kentucky to face No. 9-ranked UK on Tuesday, April 13.
1. Daniel Hangstefer/Joe McArdle (LU) def. Renato Antun/Rafael Matos (BEL) 8-6
2. Joao Paoliello/Felipe Cirne Lima (BEL) def. Chad Pierron/Tanner Brown (LU) 8-6
3. Mario Hernandez/Colby Shaw (LU) def. Bruno Silva/Jonathan Murrell (BEL) 9-8
1. Daniel Hangstefer (LU) def. Joao Paoliello (BEL) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
2. Renato Antun (BEL) def. Chad Pierron (LU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Rodrigo Amaral (BEL) def. Mario Hernandez (LU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Colby Shaw (LU) def. Felipe Cirne Lima (BEL) 6-2, 6-4
5. Rafael Matos (BEL) def. Tanner Brown (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Bruno Silva (BEL) def. Joe McArdle (LU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant in the athletics media relations department.
Men's Tennis Archives
2009-10 Men's Tennis