|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2015 Stats|
Monday, January 30, 2012
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Lipscomb Men’s tennis team lost a close match Sunday when they fell 4-3 to Samford at the Samford Tennis Center in Birmingham.
“"First of all, the credit goes to Samford for the way they finished the match,” said Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris. “This was a dog fight and I think our guys competed with the passion and energy to win this type of match next time.
“What you are hoping for is that our players will use this as a spring board to the next match at UTC. Most importantly we got better this weekend and seeing the gradual improvement will be critical over the next few matches."
Samford edged an early lead on the Bison with a 2-1 win in doubles play, leaving the Bison deficit right out of the gate.
Junior Oliver Strecker and freshman Stuart Tierney came up just short at No. 1 doubles when they fell to Zac Dunkle and Alexander Sajonz 8-6.
At No. 2, sophomore Miguel Cortez and junior Tanner Brown were defeated by Ryan Shidler and Elliot Barnwell, falling 8-3.
Junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar teamed up to post the Bison’s only doubles win at No. 3, where they took down Carson Kadi and Fernando Costa 8-5.
The Bison went on to win half of their singles matches, posting three wins but coming up just short of the Bulldogs’ four points.
Strecker picked up a win at No. 1, defeating Kadi 6-1, 7-5, the Bison’s only two-set win.
At No. 5 and No. 6, freshman Daniel Hernandez and Cortez took down their opponents in three-set matches, winning 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 and 6-4, 4-6, 6-1 respectively.
Salazar was defeated at the No. 2 spot by Dunkle 6-3, 7-5, while Brown fell at No. 3 to Barnwell 6-4, 7-6 (2). Shaw lost at No. 4 to Costa 6-2, 6-4.
The Bison continue action on Feb. 4 against Chattanooga at the UTC Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
1. Zac Dunkle/Alexander Sajonz (SAM-MT) def. Oliver Strecker/Stuart Tierney (LIP) 8-6
2. Ryan Shidler/Elliot Barnwell (SAM-MT) def. Miguel Cortez/Tanner Brown (LIP) 8-3
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Carson Kadi/Fernando Costa (SAM-MT) 8-5
1. Oliver Strecker (LIP) def. Carson Kadi (SAM-MT) 6-1, 7-5
2. Zac Dunkle (SAM-MT) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-3, 7-5
3. Elliot Barnwell (SAM-MT) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) 6-4, 7-6 (0-2)
4. Fernando Costa (SAM-MT) def. Colby Shaw (LIP) 6-2, 6-4
5. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) def. Alexander Sajonz (SAM-MT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Miguel Cortez (LIP) def. Garrison Laduca (SAM-MT) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
Men's Tennis Archives
2011-12 Men's Tennis