|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches|
Saturday, February 18, 2012
After falling into an 0-2 hole, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team rallied back to win a 4-3 thriller at Air Force, Saturday.
The Bison fell behind early, losing the doubles point and falling into an 0-2 hole after junior Tanner Brown was forced to retire during the first set of his match.
Junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar won Lipscomb’s only doubles match-up, defeating Alex Rivzi and Joey Brandt 8-5.
Fortunately, the bottom of the Bison draw came up big today. Freshman Stuart Tierney won a grueling three-setter over Alex Lineberg, battling back after losing the first set 3-6. He took the next two sets 7-5, 6-4 to secure the victory.
Shaw dominated Rivzi in his No. 6 singles match-up, winning 6-2, 6-1 to complete the victory.
Lipscomb’s Salazar picked up a big win in No. 2 singles with a 6-2, 6-3 domination of Andy Jackson. Freshman and No. 3 competitor Daniel Hernandez picked up a hard-fought win over Landon Kinsney 7-5, 6-3.
"We challenged the guys before this match to look inside themselves and see if they learned from the past two weeks in terms of mental and physical focus,” said Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris. “To lose the doubles point and then having Tanner pull out of his match and be in an 0-2 hole then to come back was tremendous.”
1) Strecker/Hernandez vs. Wilhelm/Taylor AFA Won 8-3
2) Brown/Cortez vs. Jackson/Grubbs AFA Won 8-5
3) Shaw/Salazar vs. Rizvi/Brandi LU Won 8-5
1) Oliver Strecker vs. Lance Wilhelm AFA Won 6-4, 6-4
2) David Salazar vs. Andy Jackson LU Won 6-2, 6-3
3) Daniel Hernandez vs. Landon Kinsney LU Won 7-5, 6-3
4) Tanner Brown vs. Alex Grubbs AFA Won 3-3 Ret.
5) Stuart Tierney vs. Alex Lineberg LU Won 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
6) Colby Shaw vs. Ali Rizvi LU Won 6-2, 6-1
Lipscomb 5, Army 1
After struggling early against Air Force, Lipscomb put Army away early in the night cap.
Shaw, Tierney, Salazar, Hernandez and Chad Pierron picked up wins in the evening. Oliver Strecker was handed the only loss in No. 1 play.
"After the win this afternoon over Air Force we were excited to get back out this evening and continue to improve," Harris said. "Starting off with singles was certainly a challenge in itself and then to have 3 of our first 5 matches go down in the first set and come back to win was great."
Two of the singles matches went to three sets. Shaw defeated Army's Peter Sienko 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 in No. 5 action.
Hernandez defeated Henry Jang-Milsten in a grueling 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 match to take the No. 3 point, while Salazar secured the No. 2 point with a 7-6(9), 6-4 win over Donald Van Velzer.
"Today was a terrific day not just because we were succesful on the court but we improved I think mentally," Harris said.
Lipscomb will face Ball State at 10 a.m., Sunday.
1) Oliver Strecker vs. Asik Isah Army Won 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
2) David Salazar vs. VanVelzer LU Won 7-6 (9), 6-4
3) Daniel Hernandez vs. Jan-Milsten LU Won 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
4) Stuart Tierney vs. Verano LU Won 3-6, 6-4, Ret.
5) Colby Shaw vs. Siehko LU Won 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
6) Chad Pierron vs. Clark LU Won 7-5, 6-1
Men's Tennis Archives
2011-12 Men's Tennis