|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2015 Stats|
Saturday, February 22, 2014
MOREHEAD, KY – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 match against Morehead State on Saturday at Sadler courts.
Rob Mitchell and David Salazar recorded an 8-6 victory for Bisons at the No. 2 position in doubles. The pair defeated Nick Mercer and Enrique Samdiou.
“I think the doubles is still something, as a team, we need to improve on but also just making sure our intensity never drops during the crucial points,” said freshman Mitchell.
At No. 1 in doubles, MSU ‘s Ji Hoon Heo and Jack Swindells took an 8-2 victory over Lipscomb’s Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez.
“Stuart and I played our worst doubles match ever,” said Cortez. “We did not finish our opportunities.”
The pair of Nacor Ibanez and Daniel Hernandez, at No. 3 for the Bisons, gave the match away to MSU’s Gabriel Ruiz and Giovanni Samaha 8-2.
The Bisons also dropped matches at No. 1 and No. 3 in doubles.
In singles play, Salazar at the No.1 retired down 0-3 against Swindells in the first set due to ankle sprain. The Bisons dropped 0-2 in the match immediately.
“It was really sad to see our best player hurt,” said Cortez. “But I know he is really strong and can’t wait to be on court again.
“We just need to be tougher and will ourselves to get healthy.”
Tierney at No. 2 lost to Samaha in a tough three-set fight. Tierney lost the first set 2-6 before coming back strong in the second set to win 7-5. The third set was a close fight, but Tierney ended up giving the match away to Samaha 4-6.
Mitchell at No. 3 in singles gave a raised a hope for Lipscomb after defeating Heo in straight sets - 6-4, 6-4.
“My singles went well,” Mitchell said. “It was a difficult situation against a tricky opponent, but I managed to use my strengths and close off each set to get the match.
“I just focused on being aggressive but keeping consistent.”
Cortez added another victory for the Bisons, wining over Mercer (6-4, 3-6, 6-4).
“I felt pretty good on my singles today,” said Cortez. “But I am still trying to find my best shape.”
MSU’s David Clifford beat Hernandez at No. 5 in singles 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
Freshman Ibanez at No.6 lost to MSU’s Ruiz in straight sets 6-1, 6-0.
The Bisons will gear up to play against Tennessee Tech at 7 p.m on Saturday.
Morehead State 5, Lipscomb 2
1. SWINDELLS, Jack (MOR) def. David Salazar (LIP) 3-0, retired
2. SAMAHA, Giovanni (MOR) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. HEO, Ji Hoon (MOR) 6-4, 6-4
4. Miguel Cortez (LIP) def. MERCER, Nick (MOR) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. CLIFFORD, David (MOR) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
6. RUIZ, Gabriel (MOR) def. Nacor Ibanez (LIP) 6-0, 6-1
1. HEO, Ji Hoon/SWINDELLS, Jack (MOR) def. Stuart Tierney/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-2
2. Rob Mitchell/David Salazar (LIP) def. MERCER, Nick/SAMUDIO, Enrique (MOR-M) 8-6
3. RUIZ, Gabriel/SAMAHA, Giovanni (MOR) def. Daniel Hernandez/Nacor Ibanez (LIP) 8-2
Men's Tennis Archives
2013-14 Men's Tennis