Friday, April 04, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team fell 4-0 to Stetson University in Atlantic Sun conference play Friday at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus.
The Lady Bisons dropped 2-3 in the conference with the loss. They are back in action Saturday at 10 a.m. when Florida Gulf Coast visits for another A-Sun match.
The match was played on a clinch format. Lipscomb lost at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles and No. 2 doubles remained unfinished as Stetson clinched the doubles point.
“Today we fell short because of slight lack of focus,” Lipscomb’s Jenny Borck said. “For Saturday’s match we all are going to have to prepare for anything whether its bad weather or unlucky shots.”
Freshman Laura Kent at No. 3 played strong and won the first set but the match remained unfinished as Stetson clinched in the middle of the second set.
“I was trying to play my own game, although with the windy conditions it was sometimes difficult to execute on shots,” Kent said. “I was pleased with how I played on the big points and I am looking forward to building on this match for tomorrow with Gulf Coast.”
Lipscomb’s Lorena Djuknic called the loss a team effort.
“Today we failed as a team,” Djuknic said. “We played some good tennis, but we didn’t believe. This was a tough loss, but we have learned how important it is for us to stay united and to fight for each other.”
“Individual tennis has finished when we came to college, and now it’s all about the team, our team. Saturday, from the moment we step on the court we will play for the teammates next to us, and we will own the court.”
Lipscomb women’s tennis coach Jamie Aid stressed that the team is reset and has started preparing for Saturday’s match against Gulf Coast already.
Lipscomb vs. Stetson (0-4)
1. Diana BukaJeva (SU) def. Deahna Welcher (Lip) (6-4,6-2)
2. Andrea Crespo (SU) def. Melissa Kromer (Lip) (6-2, 6-1)
3. Laura Kent (Lip) vs. Isabella Fernandez (SU) (6-4,2-3)
4. Mayablue Stauffer-MacDowell (SU) def. Jenny Borck (Lip) (6-0,6-4)
5. Lorena Djuknic (Lip) vs. Eveline Lepinay (not played)
6. Sierra Troxel (Lip) vs. Cari Berry (not played)
1. Bukajeva/ MacDowell (SU) def. Welcher/Borck (Lip) 8-6
2. Crespo/ Fernandez (SU) def. Kromer/Kent (Lip) 7-6 (Unfinished)
3. Lepinay/ Lindsey Cable (SU) def. Djuknic/Troxel (Lip)
|Copyright ©2015 Lipscomb University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.LipscombSports.com|