|News » Archives|
Saturday, February 21, 2009Coming off an upsetting 2008 season, the Lady Bisons have gained win No. 3 of the 2009 season.
In their first match on Feb. 21 at the Dayton Collegiate Tournament in Dayton, Ohio, the Lady Bisons beat Northern Kentucky University 5-2.
Doubles winners were Danielle Hansen and Kara Jackson, who defeated Stephanie Issacs and Jennifer Hand 8-4.
Raphaela Jann and Claire Landry clinched the doubles win for the Lady Bisons in a close match over Maggie Koetter and Jill Sturgeon 9-8 (1).
“Landry and Jann played great in the tie-breaker and won it decisively (7-1),” said coach Kristin Lusk.
Rolling strong into singles play, the Lady Bisons had four winners. Kara Jackson defeated Stephanie Issacs 6-1, 7-5.
“I am really proud of Kara,” said Lusk. “Her game, both physical and mental has really improved since last year. She faught hard today and won a good match.”
Other singles winners included Elizabeth Keevil who defeated Michelle Schirmann 6-1, 6-2. Danielle Hansen won against Jennifer Hand 6-0, 6-2. Claire Landry defeated Jill Sturgeon 6-3, 6-3.
The Lady Bisons are 3-2 overall.
The Lady Bisons next scheduled match in the tournament is against the University of Dayton. They were set to begin Saturday at 3 p.m., following the Northern Kentucky match.
Lipscomb vs. Northern Kentucky
1. Danielle Hansen/Kara Jackson (LU) def. Stephanie Issacs/Jennifer Hand (NKU) 8-4
2. Michelle Schirmann/Kristen Sunday (NKU) def. Elizabeth Keevil/Olivia Ellis(LU) 8-1
3. Raphaela Jann/Claire Landry (LU) def. Maggie Koetter/Jill Sturgeon (NKU) 9-8 (1)
1. Sunday (NKU) def. Jann (LU) 6-2, 7-6 (1)
2. Jackson (LU) def. Issacs (NKU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Keevil (LU) def. Schirmann (NKU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Hansen (LU) def. Hand (NKU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Landry (LU) def. Sturgeon (NKU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Koetter (NKU) def. Ellis (LU) 6-1, 6-2