|News » Archives|
Thursday, April 16, 2009JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The 2009 Atlantic Sun Women’s Tennis Championship kicked off Thursday morning with matches at ETSU and Milligan College. Three teams advance to the semifinals set for tomorrow at Buddy Hartsell Courts at ETSU.
In a match that was unfinished, No. 7-seed Lipscomb lost 4-0 in the first round. No. 2-seed East Tennessee State will play Jacksonville Friday at 11:30 a.m.
The Lady Bisons finish their season 6-16 overall, 0-10 in the Atlantic Sun.
1. Yevgeniya Stupak (ETSU) def. Raphaela Jann (LIP) 6-2, 6-0
2. Tara Byrne (ETSU) def. Kara Jackson (LIP) 6-1, 6-2
3. Karina Kedzo (ETSU) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LIP) 6-1, 6-0
4. Danielle Hansen (LIP) vs. Paula Jaime (ETSU) no result
5. Claire Landry (LIP) vs. Vita Moskaliova (ETSU) no result
6. Olivia Ellis (LIP) vs. Tara Sheets (ETSU) no result
1. Yevgeniya Stupak / Paula Jaime (ETSU) def. Kara Jackson / Elizabeth Keevil (LIP) 8-1
2. Raphaela Jann / Clair Landry (LIP) vs. Karina Kedzo / Tara Byrne (ETSU) no result
3. Vita Moskaliova / Tara Sheets (ETSU) def. Danielle Hansen / Olivia Ellis 8-1
In other matches:
No. 3 Jacksonville 5, No. 6Mercer 2
Defending champion Dolphins opened its title defense with a long fought match with Mercer, and came out victorious, 5-2. Mercer took the doubles point, but Jacksonville’s lower singles finished strong as No. 3 Juliana Umeki, No. 4 Iva Jaresova, No. 5 Virginia Iwinski and No. 6 Fernanda Carrero defeated their Mercer opponents.
No. 4 Campbell 4, No. 5 Belmont 3
Belmont jumped ahead early taking the doubles point with the duos of Tatiana Pozo/Whitnie Warren and Laura Stack/Lindsay Bennett taking their matches 8-4 and8-5, respectively. Campbell rallied back in singles coming up with wins in the lower singles, but No. 2 singles player Ana Surviladze took down Tatiana Pozo for the first time in her career to notch a 4-3 win for the Camels.
Campbell will face No. 1 Stetson tomorrow for the first time this season after rain canceled their regular season match. The higher seeded ETSU now faces the 2009 defending champions, the Jacksonville Dolphins Friday morning.