|News » Archives|
Saturday, February 23, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After Friday’s victory against Murray State, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped a home match Saturday afternoon against the University of Texas at San Antonio, 5-2.
Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez earned wins in the singles competition, while the doubles team of Tanner Brown/Colby Shaw netted a victory.
Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris said he felt the team lost momentum after missed shot opportunities early on.
“We were certainly looking to come out and establish the momentum in the doubles,” Harris said. "Give credit to UTSA. They made the shots when they had to.
“In the singles, we had to regain momentum, and we did with Stuart [Tierney] being the first one off. However, we struggled to capitalize on the other remaining matches in continuing to keep constant pressure.”
Harris said he’s confident in the fact that Saturday’s loss will help pave the way for future success.
“The guys fought hard, and we will learn from this experience and be better because of it,” Harris said.
The Bisons (3-4) travel to UAB on Friday, March 1.
Texas-San Antonio vs Lipscomb (Feb 23, 2013)
Texas-San Antonio 5, Lipscomb 2
Feb 23, 2013 at Nashville, Tenn. (Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center)
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Oliver Strecker (LIPM) 6-4, 6-3
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. David Salazar (LIPM) 7-5, 6-7, 7-6
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIPM) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 7-5, 6-1
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Colby Shaw (LIPM) 6-3, 6-3
6. Miguel Cortez (LIPM) def. Oliver Breininger (UTSA) 7-6, 6-4
1. Martin Ayala/Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. David Salazar/Oliver Strecker (LIPM) 8-4
2. Tyler Brown/Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Miguel Cortez/Stuart Tierney (LIPM) 8-5
3. Tanner Brown/Colby Shaw (LIPM) def. Kolby Kilgo/Hugo Guanais (UTSA) 8-2
Texas-San Antonio 5-3