|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 16, 2013
DELAND, Fla. - After Thursday’s loss to Florida Gulf Coast, the Lipscomb men's tennis team tried to capture the first conference win of the season playing a road match against Stetson. Unfortunately, the Hatters proved to be too mighty of an adversary.
The Bisons lost the match 4-3 on Saturday.
Daniel Hernandez, Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez all emerged victorious from their singles matches, while the team of Colby Shaw and John Tougher took home the day’s only win in doubles.
Lipscomb coach Andrew Harris said that the match came down to important matches won by the Hatters.
“Certainly, this is one of those that could have gone either way,” Harris said. “Give Stetson credit. They came through under the big points in doubles and singles to win it.”
Despite the loss, Harris said he was pleased with the effort shown by the team, especially after Thursday’s defeat.
“I was proud of the guys though for the way they competed after the FGCU match,” Harris said.
After the road trip in Florida, the team will return to the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Friday to take on Western Kentucky. Harris said that the team anticipates carrying over the mindset of Saturday’s match.
“We need to keep that consistent mentality and look forward to responding on Friday against Western Kentucky,” Harris said.
Stetson 4, Lipscomb 3
Mar 16, 2013 at DeLand, Fla. (Mandy Stoll Tennis Center)
1. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) def. Oliver Strecker (LIPM) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
2. Simon Julin (STET) def. David Salazar (LIPM) 6-4, 6-4
3. Daniel Hernandez (LIPM) def. Cahit Kapukiran (STET) 6-2, 6-2
4. Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Egor Panyushkin (STET) 7-5, 6-0
5. Miguel Cortez (LIPM) def. Chester Espie (STET) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6. Nathan Debut (STET) def. Colby Shaw (LIPM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Laurynas Antropikas/Hans Adrian Riseng (STET) def. Oliver Strecker/David Salazar (LIPM) 8-4
2. Didrik Berg/Simon Julin (STET) def. Stuart Tierney/Miguel Cortez (LIPM) 9-7
3. Colby Shaw/John Tougher (LIPM) def. Chester Espie/Nathan Debut (STET) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,3,4,2,1,5)