|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 30, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After Thursday’s win over Kennesaw State, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team accomplished a week’s sweep by defeating the visiting Mercer Bears 4-0 on Saturday at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
This win marks the fourth-in-a-row for the Bisons.
Oliver Strecker, David Salazar, Daniel Hernandez, Stuart Tierney, Miguel Cortez and Colby Shaw all walked away with wins in the singles competition, while the doubles teams of Cortez/Tierney and Strecker/Salazar both emerged victorious.
Coach Andrew Harris said that the performance in doubles help set the right tone for the rest of the match.
“Great match today again,” Harris said. “Mercer has always had a strong doubles history, so to establish the match early by getting that point is huge.”
Harris said that continued improvements are allowing for the team’s success.
“The guys came out in singles and got up 3-0 before Salazar closed out,” Harris said. “We are getting better at the right time and need to continue to improve.”
The men’s team (7-8, 3-2 in the A-Sun) will now look ahead to Johnson City and ETSU for a road game on Friday, April 5.
Lipscomb 4, Mercer 0
Mar 30, 2013 at Nashville, Tenn. (Huston-Marsh-Griffith)
1. Oliver Strecker (LIPM) def. Peter Tauchner (MU) 6-2, 6-1
2. David Salazar (LIPM) def. Arnav Mohanty (MU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Daniel Hernandez (LIPM) vs. Vincent DeLise (MU) 6-2, 1-6, 5-3, unfinished
4. Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Arsav Mohanty (MU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Miguel Cortez (LIPM) vs. Anderson Scarpa (MU) 3-6, 6-2, 0-0, unfinished
6. Colby Shaw (LIPM) vs. Austin Emmet (MU) 6-7, 7-5, 0-0, unfinished
1. Miguel Cortez/Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Joao Pagan/Peter Tauchner (MU) 8-3
2. Oliver Strecker/David Salazar (LIPM) def. Arnav Mohanty/Arsav Mohanty (MU) 8-6
3. Anderson Scarpa/Austin Emmet (MU) def. Colby Shaw/John Tougher (LIPM) 8-6
Mercer 4-12, 2-3 A-Sun
Lipscomb 7-8, 3-2 A-Sun