Tuesday, December 31, 2013
FT MYERS, Fla. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team opens 2014 play on Wednesday as Atlantic Sun Conference road play continues at Florida Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. at Alico Arena.
The contest will air on both ESPN3 with David Moulton and J. Webb Horton calling the action as well as 94.9 Game 2 with Jonathan Seamon behind the mic.
The Bisons (5-7, 0-1 A-Sun) are coming off a tough 65-63 loss at Stetson on Monday night to open league play while the Eagles (7-7, 1-0 A-Sun) downed Northern Kentucky 60-56.
- Lipscomb owns an 8-3 advantage all-time against the Eagles including both contests a year ago. The Bisons were the only A-Sun opponent in 2012-13 to earn a win in Ft. Myers and earn a series sweep against the Eagles. Lipscomb took an 87-78 overtime thriller in the Sunshine State before taking care of FGCU in the Music City 84-74.
- Junior forward Martin Smith continues to lead the Bisons in scoring averaging an A-Sun second-best 17.3 points per game. The Clarksville, Tenn. native has scored in double figures in each of the last seven games for the Purple and Gold.
- Redshirt freshman guard J.C. Hampton is pacing all A-Sun rookies in scoring with a 13.6 points-per-game average. That figure ranks Hampton ninth overall in the A-Sun scoring race and ranks him tied for 25th nationally in freshman guard scoring.
- Free throws have been key for the Bisons in each of the five wins this season having hit 75 percent (138-of-184) from the charity stripe. The Purple and Gold are also 5-2 when shooting more free throws than the opponent. In the seven losses in 2013-14, Lipscomb has shot just 61 percent (103-of-169) from the line.
- 70 seems to be the magic number so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 5-2 when scoring 70 or more points but winless when scoring below 70.
- Wednesday’s contest wraps up a 5-game road swing for the Bisons that started Dec. 7 at Murray State. Lipscomb returns home for the first time in 30 days on Saturday hosting North Florida at 4 p.m. at Allen Arena.