Wednesday, January 15, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball team returns to home Atlantic Sun Conference play on Thursday night hosting Kennesaw State at 6 p.m. at Allen Arena. The contest is set to air on ESPN3 and 94.9 Game 2.
The Bisons (6-11, 1-5 A-Sun) head into the contest on the heels of last week’s road swing that saw the Purple and Gold down ETSU 82-80 before falling 84-70 at USC Upstate on Saturday afternoon. The Owls (4-14, 1-4 A-Sun) also saw road action last week falling 83-46 at A-Sun co-leader Mercer.
Lipscomb holds a 10-5 advantage all-time in the series including a perfect 7-0 record at Allen Arena. The Bisons have also won the last five meetings between the two schools.
- After dropping 28 points last Monday against Jacksonville and then scoring 34 on the road at ETSU to lead the Bisons to the win over ETSU, freshman guard Josh Williams was named the Atlantic Sun Conference Newcomer of the Week. Williams averaged 22.5 points per game and added 4.7 rebounds per contest to claim the laurel.
- Junior forward Martin Smith continued his solid play last week including 21 points at ETSU on Thursday night when he drained six 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes of action. The Clarksville native has overtaken the scoring race in the league averaging 17 points per game just ahead of USC Upstate’s Torrey Craig, who averages 16.9 points per night.
- Redshirt freshman J.C. Hampton had a hot hand for Lipscomb last week as well. After scoring 19 points against Jacksonville on Monday night, Hampton scored 13 against ETSU and then led all Bisons with 17 points at USC Upstate on Saturday. Hampton leads all A-Sun freshmen in scoring averaging 14 points per game. That figure ranks him 10th overall in the league and 19th in the nation among freshman guards.
- Averaging 4.9 rebounds per game, Williams ranks 10th nationally in rebounding by freshmen guards.
- Close contests have been the norm for the Bisons in A-Sun play with five of the six contests being decided by five points or less.
- The Bisons are among the nation’s best at getting to the free-throw line and firing off 3-pointers. Lipscomb ranks 4th in the nation with 430 3-point attempts, 11th in the nation with 149 made 3-pointers and 17th nationally averaging 8.8 treys per game. The Purple and Gold also rank 28th nationally with 454 free-throw tries.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 6-4 when scoring 70 or more and also 5-3 when shooting more free throws.