Thursday, February 13, 2014
MACON, Ga. – Having won five of the last seven contests, the Lipscomb men’s basketball team looks to keep the momentum going Friday night against Atlantic Sun Conference leader Mercer on the Bears home court at 6 p.m.
The contest that was originally slated to be a Thursday night affair was shifted 24 hours due to the winter storm that impacted much of the Southeastern United States. The Babbling Bison himself Jonathan Seamon will have all of the action live on 94.9 Game 2 beginning with the Lyons GM-Chevrolet “Drive to the Game” at 5:45 p.m. The game will also be carried on http://www.asun.tv
- Junior forward Martin Smith leads the Bisons in scoring averaging a league fourth-best 15.4 points per night.
- Freshman guard Josh Williams continues to make a big impact in his first season averaging a league sixth best 15.2 points per game in conference games. He has been clutch in the final two minutes of action for the Bisons hitting 8-of-10 from the field including 4-for-4 from beyond the arc, along with a 12-for-14 mark at the free-throw line.
- Redshirt-freshman guard J.C. Hampton continues to lead all A-Sun freshmen in scoring averaging 14.9 points per game, a figure that ranks him seventh overall in the league and 15th nationally among freshmen guards. His 39 3-pointers made in 2014 rank him third in the nation among all freshmen and 18th overall in all of NCAA Division I. He has also scored double figures in 16 of the last 17 contests.
- The Bisons currently lead the league with four players ranked in the top-15 in scoring in Atlantic Sun games.
- With seven wins on the road this season, the Bisons are tied with A-Sun leader Mercer for the most road victories this season.
- Long distance has been a big part of the Bisons this season as Lipscomb leads the league in 3-pointers made per game at 9.0. The Bisons rank 4th nationally with 609 attempts. Senior guard Khion Sankey leads the league with a .438 percentage from beyond the arc.
- Close contests have been the norm for the Bisons in A-Sun play with nine of the 13 contests being decided by five points or less.
- Hitting the 70-point mark and hitting more free throws than the opponent seems to be the magic recipe so far in 2013-14. The Bisons are 10-5 when scoring 70 or more and also 8-4 when shooting more free throws.