|News » Archives|
Saturday, March 15, 2014
MARIETTA, Ga. – The Lipscomb Lady Bisons tennis team finished the first weekend of Atlantic Sun competition with a 1-1 record.
Saturday they rebounded from a loss at Mercer for a 5-2 win at Kennesaw State at Fair Oaks Park. The Lady Bisons are 7-5 overall. Kennesaw State slipped to 5-7. Both teams are 1-1 in the conference.
“It was a great job today from our women,” Lady Bisons coach Jamie Aid said. “We had a hard loss with Mercer and had to reset fast for Kennesaw.
“This team has a lot of fight and we work so hard both on and off the court. Our girls responded well with wanting this match.”
Laura Kent, playing in the No. 3 spot, sparked the Lady Bisons after they had lost the first two singles matches.
“A great example is Laura Kent,” Aid said. “She was down 1-6 and fights back to take a strong player to three sets and win.
“I was very pleased with everyone's level of play. We fought for a greater purpose and pulled out a 5-2 win.”
But the Lady Bisons aren’t in Georgia just to play tennis. Saturday night they went to Rescue Atlanta.
This season has been one of many firsts for the Lady Bisons. Saturday was no different.
“We beat KSU for the first time and we are on a mission trip during a season for the first time,” Aid said. “It is a great time for Lipscomb women's tennis. We are excited for this team to continue to write program firsts.”
1. Virginie Stein (KSU) def. Deahna Welcher (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
2. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Melissa Kromer (LIP) 6-3, 0-6, 6-0
3. Laura Kent (LIP) def. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) 1-6, 7-6, 6-2
4. Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Isabela Castro (KSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lorena Djuknic (LIP) def. Tamara Plocher (KSU) 7-5, 7-6
6. Sierra Troxel (LIP) def. Gabriela Bueno (KSU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Virginie Stein/Alexandra Apostu (KSU) def. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LU) 8-3
2. Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LU) def. Tamara Plocher/Gabriela Bueno (KSU) 8-4
3. Lorena Djuknic/Sierra Troxel (LU) def. Jana Hueckinghaus/Blaire LaSure (KSU) 8-3