|News » Archives|
Friday, March 21, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Bisons tennis team did not find home to be all that sweet as they played their first Atlantic Sun Conference match at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Friday morning they fell 6-1 to USC Upstate to drop to 1-2 in conference matches, 2-9 overall. The Bisons split road matches last weekend at Mercer and Kennesaw State.
The Bisons found themselves in trouble quickly after being swept in doubles.
"Once again, the doubles point was big for us,” Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez said. “We came up just short but we are putting ourselves in the position to win it. All we can do is keep pushing until we break through.”
The only winner for the Bisons was Stuart Tierney who beat Upstate’s Jamie Yates 7-6, 7-6.
“There isn't too much else to say,” Hernandez said. “We didn't get the job done and we have to keep at until we do get it done."
Saturday morning at 10 the Bisons will play host to another A-Sun foe, ETSU.
The Buccaneers are 8-8 overall, 3-0 in the A-Sun after beating Northern Kentucky 7-0. They have won their last five matches. In their last four matches they have only lost three singles matches.
Lipscomb-USC Upstate men’s tennis results
1. Matthias Kiddler/Gonzalo Blanco (Upstate) def. Miguel Cortez/Stuart Tierney (LIP), 8-6
2. Ramon Simonetti/Yvon Haessig (Upstate) def. Daniel Hernandez/Rob Mitchell (LIP), 8-7 (3)
3. Rajanuir Dharni/Pedro Carvalho (Upstate) def. David Salazar/Nacor Ibanez (LIP), 8-4
1. Kidler (Upstate) def. Salazar (LIP), 6-0, 6-0
2. Simonetti (Upstate) def. Mitchell (LIP), 1-6, 7-5, 10-6
3. Blanco (Upstate) def. D. Hernandez (LIP), 6-3, 6-3
4. Tierney (LIP) def. Jamie Yates (Upstate), 7-6, 7-6
5. Hasessig (Upstate) def. Cortez (LIP), 6-2, 6-3
6. Dharni (Upstate) def. Ibanez (LIP) 6-1, 6-3