|Women's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2014 Stats|
Sunday, February 24, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After Friday’s tough loss to Murray State, the Lipscomb women’s tennis team returned home Sunday afternoon and defeated the University of Tennessee-Martin 4-3.
Lorena Djuknic, Alyssa Bellini, Jenny Borck and Shilpa Naruka all walked away with wins in the singles competition, and the doubles team of Djuknic/Bellini claimed a victory.
Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris said he was especially proud of the team’s efforts today after falling behind in the doubles competition.
“Tremendous job today from the girls,” Harris said. “To bounce back like that after losing the doubles says a lot about their growth just in the past 48 hours. UT-Martin has always seemed to have our number, and this was a real gut check for the girls.”
Harris applauded the performances of Bellini and Djuknic.
“I was especially proud of Alyssa and Lorena, who both won their doubles and were the first two girls to get off the court by winning their singles match. That was huge in the overall momentum of the match.”
After this win, the women’s tennis team (2-5) looks ahead to their afternoon match at Austin Peay on Tuesday, March 5.
2013 Lipscomb Women's Tennis
UTM vs Lipscomb (Feb 24, 2013)
Lipscomb 4, UTM 3
Feb 24, 2013 at Nashville, TN
1. Ivon Simic (UTM) def. Deahna Welcher (LIPW) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Anna Marie Herbold (UTM) def. Melissa Kromer (LIPW) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Lorena Djuknic (LIPW) def. Anna Winkelmann (UTM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Alyssa Bellini (LIPW) def. Johanie Van Zyl (UTM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Jenny Borck (LIPW) def. Alice Laing (UTM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Shilpa Naruka (LIPW) def. Jessica Silva (UTM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Ivon Simic/Anna Marie Herbold (UTM) def. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (LIPW) 8-6
2. Lorena Djuknic/Alyssa Bellini (LIPW) def. Katie McCall/Johanie Van Zyl (UTM) 8-4
3. Anna Winkelmann/Alice Laing (UTM) def. Melissa Kromer/Shilpa Naruka (LIPW) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,4,5,6,1,2)
Women's Tennis Archives
2012-13 Women's Tennis