|Women's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2014 Stats|
Friday, March 21, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Lady Bisons put together four singles wins to take a 4-3 win over USC Upstate in Atlantic Sun Conference competition.
The Lady Bisons lost the doubles match, but earned wins at No. 2, No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 in singles Friday afternoon at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
“Our girls played well, “ Lady Bisons coach Jamie Aid said. “We started off a little slow with doubles and reset our girls fast for singles.
“We had a job to do and that was playing for something bigger than ourselves and that's what they did.”
The Lady Bisons are 8-5 overall, 2-1 in the conference. Aid credits the team’s time together over the break as a plus this week.
“We are so proud of how they have grown over spring break,” Aid said. “We won both our matches that were book ending the mission trip. The mission trip gave our team perspective, allowed us to grow together and most importantly be a selfless team.”
The Lady Bisons continue A-Sun play at home Saturday at 2 p.m. when ETSU, 7-7, 3-0 visits. ETSU has won four matches in a row, including a 7-0 sweep at Northern Kentucky on Friday.
“We have a great staff and supporters who have bought into our program and who are willing to work just as hard as our girls,” Aid said. “This is a group effort.
“Jon Flinn has done a great job preparing our girls physically and mentally. Oliver Strecker has done a good job helping our girls with game plans. Shannon O'Brien and Lacey Printz facilitated an in-season mission trip that changed our mentality.”
The Lady Bisons do not have a senior on the team. They have formed a close bond after being tested during the fall.
“We are a cohesive unit thanks to our captains Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck,” Aid said. “We are fighting as hard as we can.
“Every girl fought today. We look forward to a tough match against a strong ETSU team. The process starts over.”
Lipscomb 4, USC Upstate 3
1. Isabel von Stryk/Anna Zoske (USC) def. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIP), 8-2
2. Taylor Cohen/Talia Rojas (USC) def. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (LIP), 8-4
3. Lorena Djuknic/Sierra Troxel (LIP) def. Sarah Vande Berg/Lindsey Buenger (USC) 8-3
1. Isabel von Stryk (USC) def. Deahna Welcher (LIP), 6-3, 6-0
2. Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Anna Zaske (USC), 6-3, 6-4
3. Laura Kent (LIP) def. Talia Rojas (USC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Taylor Cohen (USC) def. Jenny Borck (LIP), 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. Lorena Djuknic (LIP) def. Sarah Vande Berg (USC), 6-3, 6-4
6. Sierra Troxel (LIP) def. Lindsey Buenger (USC), 6-2, 6-0
Women's Tennis Archives
2013-14 Women's Tennis